Pages

March 31, 2009

Bon Iver

Well I thought I had better write about Bon Iver. He was featured on Chuck again last night. I thought I had posted about him already since I've been listening to his music for a while now, but after double-checking it turns out I haven't.

Anyway I just recently got some of the songs on Bon Iver's new EP Blood Bank and they're really great. There's "Woods", which is very much like Imogen Heap's "Hide & Seek" and that's a good thing. It's just different enough to still be interesting though. Then of course there's "Blood Bank", which is the song that was on Chuck last night. They're all sort of melancholy tunes that really hit the spot. I found the whole EP over here. Awesome.

By the by, there seems to be a lot of hate going on towards "Woods". I don't quite get it, people are just not fans of the synth I guess. Just check it out yourselves though and see what you think.

So before the Blood Bank EP Bon Iver had another little album called For Emma, Forever Ago, which was equally as wonderful as Blood Bank. In case you haven't had the chance to hear any of the songs from that one, you can get "Flume" and "Skinny Love" here. The latter was also picked by Chuck's fabulous music supervisor Alex Patsavas for the show. She also had another song off that album on Grey's Anatomy a while back, which is actually where I heard about Bon Iver the first time. So thanks again to that lady, she really is brilliant at picking good songs.

Also on a different note, I hope people have started to be curious about Chuck, considering how often I mention it. It's an awesome show. It's probably the most consistently entertaining program on TV and you really should be catching it. If you've never seen it, it's on NBC on Mondays at 8/7 c. Watch it. You can also go catch up on old episodes at the official NBC site, at Hulu or at NinjaVideo. Incidentally, last night's episode "Chuck Versus the Broken Heart" was hilarious. Watch it now.


Edit: I almost forgot to mention... If you're one of the unlucky who can't access NBC's videos or Hulu because you're outside the US, there's a brilliant little free program that will work around that for you. It's called Hotspot Shield and essentially what it does, is create a VPN (virtual private network) that will assign you a different IP address, thereby tricking all those restricted US sites into thinking you're actually from the US. Sweet Jesus! Yes, it's that awesome. Also when you install it be sure to deselect the option to install that silly toolbar. It's no good for your computer. Get the program here. You can thank me later :)

2 comments:

krii said...

i'm insulted that i was not at least indirectly referred to in this post, considering i'm the one who is currently obsessed with bon iver and was part of the conversation that no doubt prompted you to include this post.

nams said...

whoops. well now that you have shamelessly self-promoted yourself i think we're good.