Pages

June 03, 2009

Eclectic Catch-Up

This post is beyond overdue and because of that it's also extremely random. I've been saving up things that I've been meaning to write about for a good while now. Consequently there's a veritable plethora of unrelated songs and other music related things to mention. I think I'll just start with the first thing I have noted down and go from there.

I found a really cool iPhone app over at the J-Walk blog. Now, personally I think iPhones are pretty unexciting and kind of a general waste of time, but this app is kind of awesome nonetheless. If you have an iPhone I would seriously consider getting it. So what am I talking about? Well, the app is called Bebot and it's essentially a very cool program that features a little robot who makes sounds and moves according to how you touch the screen. There's a video of how it works over here. If anyone has this or is going to get it, report back. I'd love to know whether it's as cool in real life as it looks online.

Alright, next up are two music videos I found while perusing a list of the "Best Bands of the Decade" (sort of) as determined by various musicians. The consensus is that there isn't one best band, but that seems like a bit of a no-brainer. Anyway, the list is here, if you'd like to see what everyone came up with. The list did have some very nice links to videos of the different artists featured and I discovered some new things.

Namely, this very cool music video for the song "Proof" by I Am Kloot.



The other video is for "Hold the Line" by Major Lazer feat. Mr. Lexx and Santigold. This song isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but the video is absolutely awesome :) Incidentally Diplo makes up half of the Major Lazer duo, I think I've written about him before...



Finally I wanted to share some music that I have been listening to for a really, really long time and that I thoroughly enjoy. I'm talking about Sam Phillips. Some of you might know her as the la-la-la-singer from the WB's Gilmore Girls. Phillips hasn't really released anything new in a good while now, but her older songs are still a real pleasure to listen to. I will admit that a good amount of her work is a bit peculiar and it might not appeal to everyone. There's one song in particular off the album A Boot and a Shoe, which is just fabulous though. Phillips' smokey voice blends beautifully with the cello in "Reflecting Light". Have a listen here, to see what I'm talking about. You can also check out more of her stuff at her official site.

So I've decided to start listing the songs I mention within my posts again at the end, to make finding things easier. This will only be done for mp3s :)

"Reflecting Light" by Sam Phillips
A Boot and a Shoe, 2004

No comments: